In an attempt to further understand our followers and help anyone new to town or thinking about moving to town, we begged the question: “What advice would you give to someone who is moving to NOLA?” And people gave some very inspiring, hilarious and most definitely honest answers.
Check out our top picks and see the thread (on Instagram below and on Facebook here) if you need a good laugh (or want to add your own thoughts!).
1. “Don’t credit the opinions of those who don’t live here, and take the opinions of those who live in Metairie, Kenner or Northshore with a grain of salt.”
2. “You need an SUV”.
3. “Be prepared for the biggest love/hate relationship of your life.”
4. “Invest in rainboots.”
5. “Bring a set of clothes and leave it in the back of your car just in case sweat comes to the oddest areas of your body. Better to be safe than sorry.”
6. “Bengal is the best roach spray by far. You should probably get some.”
7. “Ask the locals where to eat. Period. Don’t think you’re just going to figure it out on google.”
8. “Once you get there… don’t ever leave. Speaking from experience. NOLA gets in your soul.”
9. “The qualities of the city we love are inextricably linked to those we don’t”.
10. “Just because you can drink until 6 am every night doesn’t mean you should”.
11. “If you make it through a whole year, you’ll be fine.”
12. “Move in after November 1st”.
13. “Have a car with big enough tires, so it doesn’t get lost in a pothole. If you don’t need a car, it’s better to ride a bike”.
14. “Move during the summer, which is the worst time of the year for various reasons, and if you still like it, then you’ll probably stay here for a while.”
Featured image by Mana5280 from Unsplash